You can now download a dataset containing over 1.4 million grants. The data was created by IBM Watson’s Causebot by extracting fields from the IRS e-files (very little documentation provided).
- granteeein - EIN of the grant recipient. Also known as grantee
- grantee - Name of the grantee
- grantdesc - Brief description of the grant in the tax filing
- cashgrantamt - Cash amount of the grant
- grantor - Name of the grantor
- grantorein - EIN of the grantor
- taxperiod - The tax period in which this grant belongs in
- granteecity - City location of the grantee
- granteestate - State location of the grantee
- granteezipcode - Zip code of the grantee
- grantorcity - City location of the grantor
- grantorstate - State location of the grantor
- grantorzipcode - Zip code of the grantor
One major limitation of the dataset is that it captures grant data reported in standard fields on the e-file forms. It doesn’t seem to capture grant data that is reported as a separate attachment (usually in Schedule O), which is common practice for large foundations.
More documentation about the program and dataset would be welcome!